In April of 1974, Bike Gallery opened its doors one block west of our current Hollywood location. The Portland bicycle community was much smaller 38 years ago and Bob Graves was challenged by the subpar customer service he received from the existing bike shops to non-elite racers. Fueled with a passion for great customer service, Bob Graves and his family opened a small bicycle shop that aimed to serve bicyclists of all ability levels.
Bob’s son, Jay Graves, grew up “wrenching” at the bike shop around his school schedule and ran the business for several decades. After almost 40 years at Bike Gallery, Jay Graves retired and Kelly Aicher, a 16-year Bike Gallery employee, and Mike Olson, a successful San Diego bicycle shop owner, partnered to purchase the business from Jay. They continue the Graves’ legacy of great customer service and commitment to the Portland community.
What started as a small store on NE Sandy Blvd has grown to six Portland area locations with one simple mission: to get more people on bikes more often.
Bike Gallery Distinctions
- Bike Gallery was the first bike business to receive the Platinum rating for a bicycle friendly business from the League of American Bicyclist (and continuing)
- Recognition by BTA founder Rex Burkholder for being the first company to provide financial support to the BTA (1994-current).
- Voted #1 Retailer Advocate of the Year by Bicycle Retail and Industry News
- Awarded the Elmer J. Sorensen Legend Award, the most esteemed award which Trek extends to its retailers
- Bicycling Magazine 100 top bicycle shops nationally (2005-12)
- Oregon Ethics in Business award (2008)
- Willamette Week’s Best of Portland
- Mercury’s “Best of the Merc” for Bicycles (2011)
On-going Community Support
- Bicycle Transportation Association (BTA): Bike Gallery was the first business supporter and we continue our support through the Alice Awards, Bike Commute Challenge, and other initiatives.
- Community Cycling Center (CCC): Jay Graves was fundamental in the CCC’s inception and we continue to support them in various initiatives. We contributed to the New Columbia Pump Track project, many of the bikes we receive as trade-ins are donated, and our mechanics volunteer to wrench in December for their kid’s bike drive.
- Sunday Parkways: We’ve been a major financial contributor since the beginning and we continue to support each event with a booth for free repairs. This year we will have a kids fun area with bike “races” and fun contests. We love this free event because it is a community friendly event that champions good health and great neighborhoods.
- Cycle Oregon: We’ve provided free mechanical support since the first ride in 1988 (25 years!) and donated thousands of dollars to the rural towns that welcome the ride each year.
- Good Sport Events: We provide free mechanical support to keep riders comfortable and safe at Bridge Pedal, Reach the Beach, Portland Century, Cirque du Cycling, and more…
- Donations: We provide ongoing product, financial, and service donations to schools as well as events that promote cycling, alternate transportation, and healthy lifestyles across the Portland metro area.
- Volunteer for Good Program: We pay employees for volunteering in their community.
- Commuter Incentive Program: We encourage our employees to commute by bicycle through our incentive program. To date we’ve paid over $65,000 for more than 45,000 trips by bike.
- Recycling program: We make it a priority to recycle as much of our waste as possible. This includes the metal from bikes, plastic wrappers from parts, rubber from inner tubes, and more. Click here to read more.