Maintenance & Repair
When you bring your bike in for repair, you can expect a thorough assessment and a reliable estimate that will not be exceded without your approval. All service work comes with our 30 Riding Day Guarantee to ensure your peace of mind. We’re here to take care of you. When your bike is in the Bike Gallery service department, you can be sure it’s in good hands.
Bike Gallery has the best mechanics in Portland
In fact, our Service Manager, Brett Flemming, is one of the top mechanics in the nation. He posesses the rare combination of unparalleled mechanical skill and passion for people and he often takes on the hardest jobs. Don’t tell him we said this, but Brett is excited when you bring him a challenge that seems unsolvable. You can read more about Brett in a 2007 article by Bike Portland. (Please forgive our unabashed promotion of Brett – we’re really proud of him.)
We won’t always be the cheapest shop in town, but you will receive the very best service in the Portland area. We unconditionally guarantee our service for 30 riding days. For specific needs, click here for our service menu.
Not sure if your bicycle needs maintenance?
If you’re not sure if your bike needs maintenance, Bike Gallery will provide free safety checks any time. Bring your bike in to any of our six locations and we’ll be happy to look it over. Maybe a little air in your tires is all you need! We want to make sure you are safe on the road, so if you have any doubt please stop in.
Why is bicycle maintenance important?
A bicycle is a beautiful machine when it is working properly. To ensure that you get the most out of every ride, it’s a good idea to keep your bike maintained. At Bike Gallery, we take great pride in servicing bikes of all types, so that you are free to enjoy the experience.
Make sure you are safe and your bicycle is reliable
A bicycle that is maintained regularly will not only perform better, but will keep you safer. Over time, cables can stretch, tires can wear out, and parts can rust. If your bike has been in storage for an extended period of time, it is a good idea to have it checked out. Our mechanics are happy to give your bicycle a free inspection, and help fix anything that needs attention.
Maintain your investment
Having your bike regularly serviced will keep your beloved bicycle rolling for years to come. We recommend having your bicycle tuned up every year, or possibly more depending on how much you ride. If you are a year-round commuter your bicycle will need more attention than a bicycle that is ridden primarily in the summer. Regular maintenance checks will help catch problems before they worsen, and save you money in the long run.
Make cycling easier and save energy
A well tuned bicycle is efficient and quiet. If your chain is making noise or the pedals feel crunchy, your bicycle might need some help. Riding a bicycle is supposed to be fun, and we want your rides to be as much fun as possible!
Additionally, having your bicycle fitted properly will improve your efficiency and maximize your energy output. Our expert Bicycle Fit Specialists are trained to help you get the most out of your cycling experience.
You can reduce accidents and mechanical failures that can delay your ride and be costly to repair with regular maintenance. The ideal recommended maintenance schedule for you can vary based on the frequency and type of riding you are doing. If you are unfamiliar with any of the following terms, bring your bike to any Bike Gallery location for a free check up (no appointment needed). We also offer regular Bike Maintenance 101 classes.
Before each ride:
- Tires: Check for proper inflation. The recommended inflation for your tire can be found on the side of the tires and is measured in PSI.
- Brakes: Spin the wheels to check for rubbing and proper functioning. Check brake pads for excessive wear and rubbing.
- Quick Release: Make sure that wheels are fastened firmly and do not wobble.
- Gears: Make sure the gears shift smoothly and that the chain doesn’t jump off the gears.
At least quarterly
- Keep your chain lubed and wiped completely clean
- Make sure the rear derailleur’s “pulleys” and pivot points are lubricated properly
- Lubricate brake pivot points regularly
- Keep cables lubricated, especially after wet riding.
- Wheels: Make sure hub bearings are well greased and smoothly adjusted.
- Bearings: Have crank bearings (bottom bracket) and fork bearings (headset) checked periodically.
- Fasteners: Check critical fasteners, such as nuts and bolts at least once per season, and after every service.
At least semi-annually
- Inspect rims for cracks or damage
- Inspect frame and fork for cracks or damage. Cleaning your bike is a great way to keep it looking new as well as finding problems before they get worse. Use a mild dish soap and brush to gently clean your frame and components. If you notice something that needs attention, we are more than happy to help!
We recommend getting your bicycle professionally serviced at least once per year. The trained eyes and hands of experienced mechanics are often able to detect areas of concern well before the onset of an unpleasant experience. You may only need a quick tune-up, but if you ride a lot, your bicycle may need more service. Check out our Service Menu for the different service packages we offer.